The Central Presbyterian Church (then Allegheny, now Pittsburgh) was organized by the Allegheny Presbytery on May 7, 1854.
Rev. W. S. Plummer, a professor at the Western Theological Seminary, was named pastor on January 17, 1855. He resigned on September 19, 1862.
The original church building at Anderson and Laycock Streets was torn down in August 1902. A new church was dedicated in March 1904.
In 1908, the Allegheny Presbytery announced a merger of Central Presbyterian with the other Northside church on Melrose Avenue. A new building accommodating both congregations was to be built "no further out than Charles Street," which later became Maryland Avenue.
Available records include: